On the global stage, mitigating climate change requires similar processes. Because of the need for accountability, regular reporting, and consistent effort, parties to the 2015 Paris Agreement acknowledged the need for setting goals and assessing progress towards those goals.
The first global stocktake concluded at COP28 in Dubai in November 2023. The two-year process evaluated progress toward meeting the Paris Agreement goals and measured the desire of stakeholders to take climate action.
Stakeholders representing COP28 member countries, non-state NGOs, companies, financial institutions, cities, states, regions, and civil society organizations thoroughly and precisely examined:
- Progress towards mitigating climate change
- The identification of gaps in climate action and opportunities for bridging the gaps
- Efforts to implement climate action and the
- The capability to raise ambition for climate action in line with science
- Methods for applying high-quality data to achieve climate action.
Work on each of those high-level issues is intended to align efforts on climate action and rekindle the vision for change.